Frequently Asked Questions
What is FeraMAX® 150?
- FeraMAX® 150 is an oral iron supplement formulated with polysaccharides in a stable complex. It is manufactured by a specialized process whereby the iron is coated with polysaccharides (starches/sugars). This coating allows the iron to pass through the stomach relatively intact where it is absorbed through the small intestine and is then delivered to the bloodstream.
- It is a dark brown powder which, when dissolved in water forms a very dark brown solution.
- It is virtually tasteless and odorless.
- It is an organic complex and contains no free ions, also described as being non-ionic.
- Due to the polysaccharide coating (matrix) it is electrically neutral.
Why is FeraMAX® 150 considered a Natural Health Product?
- Health Canada regulations stipulate that all oral iron supplements are now registered as Natural Heath Products and not under the old system of assigning them a Drug Identification Number (DIN). All oral iron products currently on the market have had their DIN’s discontinued and their numbers reassigned to the NHPD (Natural Health Product Directorate).
What is the approval number for FeraMAX® 150?
- The approval number is NPN 80013210.
What are the advantages of using FeraMAX® 150?
- FeraMAX® 150 is a high potency iron that is well absorbed and well tolerated.
Are there any specific allergens present in FeraMAX® 150 that are of concern?
- FeraMAX® 150 does not contain lactose, gluten or sulphuric compounds in its formulations. These are the most common ingredients that patients are concerned about. It does contain artificial coloring agents and trace amounts of sodium.
Is FeraMAX® suitable for Vegan / Vegetarian diets?
BioSyent Pharma is pleased to announce the launch of our Vegan Certified FeraMAX® 150 capsules. The capsules have the same active ingredient - our innovative Polysaccharide-Iron Complex. The bovine capsule has been replaced with a hydroxypropylmethylcellulose (HPMC) capsule that is suitable for vegan and vegetarian lifestyles.
This VegeCert logo proves that our product has been audited and inspected by inspectors from Kashruth Council of Canada (COR). These inspectors visit our manufacturing facilities to ensure that FeraMAX® 150 conforms to VegeCert’s high standards.
Vegan certified FeraMAX® 150 capsules are available only at select pharmacies in Canada, until a wider national distribution becomes available in the spring of 2016.
Is FeraMAX® 150 Gluten and Lactose Free?
- Yes, FeraMAX® 150 is Gluten and Lactose Free.
Should FeraMAX® 150 be taken with, or without food?
- Many oral iron supplements should be taken on an empty stomach; however this increases the likelihood of adverse side effects. Due to its formulation and how it is absorbed, FeraMAX® 150 can be given with or without food. It is best to take FeraMAX® 150 at the same time each day.
How is FeraMAX® 150 supplied?
- FeraMAX® 150 is available in a bottle of 100 capsules or carton of 30 capsules.
Is FeraMAX® 150 covered under drug insurance plans?
- All oral iron products are regulated by Natural Health Product Directorate and thus no longer have Drug Identification Number (DINS) but rather Natural Health Product Numbers (NPN’s). NPN’s are generally not being covered by drug plans. Some drug plans cover oral iron supplements so we advise to contact your Insurance Company and enquire about coverage.
Please contact BioSyent Pharma Customer Service at 1-888-439-0013 or email email@example.com for more information or if you may have any other questions that are not answered above.